Saturday 4 May 2013

Valentines Cake

So this cake was made because I was going through withdrawl after the birth of my 3rd baby.  It had been quite some months since I had made one.  There is a photo where you can see i had some real trouble getting my fondant cover to behave.  It was drying as I was putting it while trying to do homework with my eldest and ignoring a baby crying in order to get out the door for a parent teacher interview...  Recipe for disaster, yes? 
 The feet are my middle childs.

This cake was all kinds of wrong really. The ruffle heart - the discs were too thick, the cover was awful, I didn't paint the butterflies in any fashion, the balls around the base werent quite right either.  It was also the first time that I cranked up my cricut mini - learning curve. 

This is the photo.  See those terrible folds?!?

I also learnt that I'm not a particular fan of regalice fondant.  I'm sorry if you are but I'm not really.  The red and chocolate are both nice tasting but I dont like the way they behave.  Far too elastic and tear too easily - and if you are using it for modelling,  it never really dries properly even with copious amounts of Tylose added!  If you are in the mood you could scroll down to the duck shooting cake and see the maimai (shed that the men hide from ducks and shoot from) is made from the chocolate.  I made the pieces on the tuesday ready for use of friday with heaps of tylose in it.  The pieces still had a bit of give to them and I was very relieved that they didn't bend.  Rant over.  I still have a bit in the cupboard so I am learning how to deal with it a lot better than I did.


The cake went to my eldests class at school.  They actually made it stretch to the entire school. Its not a huge feat though - the school is 51 students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment