Friday 3 May 2013

My favourite cake so far.


This is my favourite cake I've made so far.  It was based of a tutorial in a cake mag (can't remember which one) and was my first time making and using a Swiss Meringue Butter Cream (SMBC).  It was done using a petal tip, wilton 106? I can't remember off the top of my head. 

It was made for my Brother In Laws birthday.  The poor man will more than likely get my experimental cakes for the rest of my life as his birthday comes right after a very busy period where I do not get to make any cakes for a few months. So instead I spend that time thinking about cakes and what i might be able to make.

I probably make half and half of buttercream and fondant cakes, even though my preference is for buttercream.  I will one day be one of those clever people who make SMBC look like fondant. I like the versatility of it but most of all i like the taste!  

This cake was apple and cinnamon and the SMBC was a brown sugar SMBC.  It was delicious.  I did learn about the fact that I absolutely cannot use 'cool' cakes with SMBC I must use cold cakes.  As my oven is retarded and cant bake deep cakes (really anything deeper than a cupcake - i have to split normal cakes into two tins or they dont cook well) and I had tried to bake one deep one and even though it looked cooked and I had had it in there for a half hour longer and tested it with a skewer; when i released it from the tin complete outside cooked - and then....  It collapsed like a sink hole.  It was still raw on the inside - not cooked at all in the middle.  So I made another batter up and split it into my sandwich tins so the cakes were done in the middle of the day instead of the beginning so were not cold enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment