Monday 17 June 2013

My First Ever Gumpaste Roses

The cake itself was given to me to decorate.  It was quite a dense fruit cake, I would just like to say that between then and now I have learnt a whole lot more about how to cover a cake in fondant. Dont look too closely at the air bubbles, cracking and general uneveness! :) Every cake is a learning lesson. 

I approached a local acquaintance who I knew decorated cakes for her family and friends and was also attending her local cake guild at the time to help give me some pointers on making these.  I also have one of Alan Dunn's flower books so between the two I came up with these.


The first rose I ever made (the one in the center) took me nearly five hours to complete.  I can now say that they take me significantly less work time but now longer in general with learning about drying times etc.  I still think I dusted too heavily in the middle but that it looks ok.  As you can tell they are wired into position.




I made (and still do) more flowers than I would need a total of 3 full flowers and 4 half roses and goodness knows how many of those leafs.  I must say that now I know how to cut out and wire individual leaves better, they would be thinner.







And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment